“So,” you ask, “how do I pick the best option for my child?”
- First of all, has your child attended camp before?
- Think about what your child enjoys: water time, land sports, high adventure challenges, nature exploration, music, and acting/drama, cooking over a fire, making things?
- Are you looking for a one-week session or two weeks of camp?
The good news: most sessions of camp include a little bit of everything Camp Westminster has to offer!
Here are some suggested paths for your camper to follow, in subsequent summers:
- Just Camp: hands down the best option for getting the most variety. Why? Because we have 2 weeks!
- First Timers
- Music and Drama
- Aqua Mania
- Pioneer Heritage
All Ages: If your child loves to camp out, cook their own food, and hike: (Please note that expeditions are offered on a rotation and many not be available every year. Check out our summer schedule for availability.)
- Pioneer Heritage
- Trip Level I Expeditions
South Manitou Island Expedition, UP Expedition: Tahquamenon Falls, Rocks & Ropes
- Trip Level II Expeditions
UP Expedition: Pictured Rocks,
- Trip Level III Expeditions
Isle Royale Expedition, Devil’s Lake, Wisconsin Expedition
- Extreme S.T.E.A.M (grades 1-5) or The Au Sable Paddle & Saddle Challenge (grades 6-9)
- Aqua Mania (grades 1-5) or Wet n’Wild (grades 6-9)
- Worldwide Sports (grades 6-9)
- Rocks & Ropes (grades 8-10)
All Ages: What if my child wants to be a camp counselor someday? (We hear this often!)
- Completed grades 6-9: Sailing I or II; any trip or expedition; Rocks & Ropes; Radical Faith (this session includes an out trip)
- Completed grade 10: Radical Leadership (this session includes an out trip)
- Completed grade 11: Radical Service (includes skill development and service on site)
- Completed grade 12: May be invited to Radical Community: Westminster to the World (an international trip)
- Completed one year of university and age 19: May apply to be a counselor!
It is not mandatory to complete Radical Faith before Radical Leadership or Radical Service. If your camper can sail, go on an out trip or climb- encourage them to do it! We need leaders with these skills!
All Ages: What if my child has food allergies or sensitivities?
While Camp Westminster is nut-restricted all year long campers with food allergies or sensitivities are encouraged to consider our Free to Be week of camp. This week the entire menu is designed to accommodate those with Celiac Disease or who are sensitive to gluten, milk/casein, soy or tree nuts.
- Free To Be: Camp with an allergen-free diet (completed grades 1-5, 6-9)